Founded 1873 as University of Cape of Good Hope. Renamed University of South Africa, 1916. Became distance education university, 1946. Acquired present status 2004 following merger with Technikon Southern Africa and Vista University, Distance Education Centre (VUDEC).
Accreditation: Council on Higher Education
- Agriculture and Environmental Science CollegeFields of study: Agricultural Management, Agriculture, Animal Husbandry, Biological and Life Sciences, Ecology, Environmental Management, Environmental Studies, Food Science, Geography, Horticulture, Natural Sciences, Social Sciences, Soil Science, Veterinary Science, Water Science, Welfare and Protective Services
- Economics and Management Sciences CollegeFields of study: Accountancy, Administration, Banking, Business Administration, Business and Commerce, Economics, Finance, Human Resources, Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Insurance, Labour and Industrial Relations, Leadership, Management, Marketing, Mathematics, Mathematics and Computer Science, Operations Research, Psychology, Public Administration, Real Estate, Retailing and Wholesaling, Secretarial Studies, Service Trades, Social Sciences, Taxation, Tourism, Transport and Communications, Transport Economics, Transport Management, Vocational Counselling, Welfare and Protective Services
- Education CollegeFields of study: Adult Education, Art Education, Business Education, Computer Education, Continuing Education, Curriculum, Distance Education, Education, Education of the Gifted, Education of the Handicapped, Educational Administration, Educational and Student Counselling, Educational Research, Educational Sciences, Educational Technology, Educational Testing and Evaluation, Health Education, Higher Education, Home Economics Education, Humanities and Social Science Education, International and Comparative Education, Literacy Education, Mathematics Education, Music Education, Pedagogy, Philosophy of Education, Preschool Education, Primary Education, Science Education, Secondary Education, Special Education, Teacher Trainers Education, Teacher Training, Technology Education
- Human Sciences CollegeFields of study: African American Studies, African Languages, Afrikaans, Ancient Civilizations, Ancient Languages, Anthropology, Arabic, Archaeology, Art History, Art Management, Arts and Humanities, Bible, Christian Religious Studies, Classical Languages, Cognitive Sciences, Communication Studies, Comparative Literature, Comparative Religion, Contemporary History, Cultural Studies, Demography and Population, Design, Development Studies, English, English Studies, Fine Arts, French, Gender Studies, Health Administration, Health Sciences, Heritage Preservation, History, History of Religion, Information Management, Information Sciences, Information Technology, International Studies, Library Science, Linguistics, Literature, Mass Communication, Medieval Studies, Midwifery, Missionary Studies, Modern History, Modern Languages, Music, Musicology, New Testament, Nursing, Pastoral Studies, Performing Arts, Philosophy, Political Sciences, Portuguese, Psychology, Public Health, Regional Studies, Religion, Religious Practice, Religious Studies, Romance Languages, Social Sciences, Social Work, Sociology, Spanish, Theology, Translation and Interpretation, Visual Arts, Welfare and Protective Services, Writing
- Law CollegeFields of study: Administrative Law, Civil Law, Civil Security, Commercial Law, Comparative Law, Constitutional Law, Criminal Law, Criminology, History of Law, Human Rights, International Law, Justice Administration, Labour Law, Law, Maritime Law, Notary Studies, Police Studies, Private Law, Protective Services, Public Law, Welfare and Protective Services
- Science, Engineering and Technology CollegeFields of study: Applied Mathematics, Artificial Intelligence, Astronomy and Space Science, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Civil Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Engineering, Engineering Drawing and Design, Engineering Management, Industrial Engineering, Materials Engineering, Mathematics, Mathematics and Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, Mining Engineering, Natural Sciences, Physics, Software Engineering, Statistics, Systems Analysis, Technology
- Academic year: January to December
- Requirements: For undergraduate certificates: National Senior Certificate with entry level degree, diploma or higher certificate, National Senior Certificate (vocational) at level 4 with entry level degree, diploma or higher certificate, Senior Certificate of full or conditional exemption issued by the Matriculation Board of Higher Education South Africa (HESA), Senior Certificate with matriculation or university admission endorsement (exemption). For undergraduate diplomas: National Senior Certificate with entry level degree or diploma, National Senior Certificate (vocational) at level 4 with entry level degree or diploma, Senior Certificate of full or conditional exemption issued by the Matriculation Board of Higher Education South Africa (HESA), Senior Certificate with matriculation or university admission endorsement (exemption). For undergraduate degrees: National Senior Certificate with entry level degree, National Senior Certificate (vocational) at level 4 with entry level degree, Senior Certificate of full or conditional exemption issued by the Matriculation Board of Higher Education South Africa (HESA), Senior Certificate with matriculation or university admission endorsement (exemption). Please note that the admission requirements for entry level qualifications are the minimum statutory requirements and that admission requirements differ between the various Colleges.
- Students allowance: Co-ed