Founded 1811 as Academia Real Militar. Succesively changed its name to Imperial Academia Militar (1822), Academia Militar da Corte (1832), Escola Militar (1840) and Escola Central (1858). The school of military engineering started its activities in 1930. Changed name to Escola Técnica do Exército in 1933. Merged with Instituto Militar de Tecnologia and acquired present title 1959. Started admitting civilians in 1964 and women in 1997.
- Students allowance: Co-ed