Founded 1857 as School of Mining and became regional branch of State Technical University 1947. Became independent and acquired present status and title 1981. An autonomous institution financially supported by the State. Teacher education started in the Normal School of Copiapó 1905.
Accreditation: National Accreditation Commission (CNA)
- Academic year: March to December (March-June, August-December)
- Requirements: Secondary school certificate (Licencia de Educación Media) and entrance examination
- Students allowance: Co-ed