Founded 1538 by Bull of Pope Paul III. Directed by Dominican Order of Preachers until 1802. Closed during the French occupation. Became a lay institution in 1815 but again closed 1822-1844 during Haitian occupation. Again reopened and reorganized 1865, 1914, and 1937. Following Law on University autonomy 1961 adopted new status 1966. Financially supported by the State.
- Academic year: January to December (January-May, July-December)
- Requirements: Secondary school certificate (bachillerato) or recognized foreign equivalent
- Students allowance: Co-ed