Founded 1925 as private Civic College in Helsinki, became School of Social Sciences 1930 and transferred to Tampere 1960. Formerly known as Yhteiskunnallinen korkeakoulu. Acquired present status and title 1966. An autonomous institution until August 1974, financed by the State 75%, by the city of Tampere 20%, and by student fees 5%. Subsequently under the supervision of the Ministry of Education and entirely financed by the State.
Accreditation: Ministry of Education and Culture
- Academic year: September to May (September-December, January-May)
- Requirements: Secondary school certificate (ylioppilastutkinto) or foreign equivalent, and entrance examination
- Students allowance: Co-ed