Founded 1830 as a Catholic Teacher Training College for prospective state school teachers in the Grand Duchy of Oldenburg, became Specialist Education College Vechta in 1946, taken over by the state of Lower Saxony as College of Education Vechta in 1947, merged with eight other institutions in Lower Saxony into a College of Education in 1969, transferred to the University of Osnabrück in 1973, and acquired current title and status in 2010.
Accreditation: Zentrale Evaluations- und Akkreditierungsagentur (ZEvA)
- Academic year: Winter Semester: October – March, Summer Semester: April – September
- Requirements: Secondary school certificate (Reifezeugnis) or equivalent
- Students allowance: Co-ed