Founded 1321 as Studium Generale by the Republic of Florence. Recognized by Bull of Pope Clement VII 1349 and by Royal Decree of Charles IV 1364. Transferred to Pisa 1472, but law and medicine continued to be taught in Florence. Reorganized as Istituto di Studi Superiori Pratici e di Perfezionamento 1859. The institution became autonomous 1872 and was granted full university status 1924. Under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Public Instruction and financially supported by the State.
- Biomedical Sciences AreaFields of study: Biological and Life Sciences, Biomedicine, Chemistry, Dental Technology, Dentistry, Forensic Medicine and Dentistry, Health Administration, Health Sciences, Medical Auxiliaries, Medical Parasitology, Medicine, Midwifery, Neurosciences, Nursing, Optometry, Pharmacy, Podiatry, Psychology, Public Health, Radiology, Rehabilitation and Therapy, Surgery, Treatment Techniques
- Humanities and Education AreaFields of study: Adult Education, Anthropology, Archaeology, Archiving, Art History, Arts and Humanities, Behavioural Sciences, Classical Languages, Cognitive Sciences, Comparative Literature, Design, Documentation Techniques, Education, Educational Sciences, Fine Arts, Heritage Preservation, History, Library Science, Linguistics, Literature, Mass Communication, Modern Languages, Music, Native Language, Performing Arts, Philosophy, Preschool Education, Primary Education, Psycholinguistics, Secondary Education, Special Education, Teacher Training, Theatre
- Social Sciences AreaFields of study: Accountancy, Administration, Air and Space Law, Anthropology, Banking, Behavioural Sciences, Business Administration, Business and Commerce, Canon Law, Civil Law, Cognitive Sciences, Commercial Law, Communication Studies, Comparative Law, Criminal Law, Criminology, Demography and Population, Economics, European Union Law, Finance, Geography, Geography (Human), Heritage Preservation, History of Law, Human Rights, Industrial Management, Institutional Administration, Insurance, International Business, International Law, International Relations, International Studies, Labour Law, Law, Management, Management Systems, Maritime Law, Marketing, Notary Studies, Political Sciences, Private Law, Psychology, Public Administration, Public Law, Social Sciences, Sociology, Urban Studies
- Technology AreaFields of study: Agricultural Economics, Agricultural Engineering, Agriculture, Agronomy, Animal Husbandry, Architectural and Environmental Design, Architectural Restoration, Architecture, Architecture and Planning, Automation and Control Engineering, Civil Engineering, Computer Engineering, Crop Production, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Energy Engineering, Engineering, Engineering Management, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Studies, Farm Management, Fishery, Food Science, Forest Management, Forestry, Horticulture, Industrial Engineering, Landscape Architecture, Materials Engineering, Meteorology, Physical Engineering, Production Engineering, Regional Planning, Safety Engineering, Soil Science, Structural Architecture, Surveying and Mapping, Town Planning, Transport and Communications, Tropical Agriculture, Water Science
- Academic year: October to May
- Requirements: Secondary school certificate (maturità), and entry examination for most Degree and Diploma Courses
- Students allowance: Co-ed